Reasons to wear glasses
According to Global Eyesight Now, approximately six out of every 10 people in the developed world wear glasses, contact lenses, or have had corrective eye surgery. People wear glasses for a variety of reasons. In order to determine whether or not glasses are needed, one part of the eye exam includes reading a special chart.
The chart that is used to test how well you can see was first developed in 1863. It is designed to determine if you have 20/20 vision, which means that at a distance of 20 feet, you can read the line labeled 20 on the chart. If so, your vision is normal. However, if you can only see the top line clearly, then you have 20/200 vision. This means that you have to be 20 feet from the chart in order to see what most people can see at 200 feet. That being said, if your vision is 20/200 or less with the use of the best eyeglass lens to correct your eyesight, then you are considered legally blind.
Some reasons for which glasses or lenses are prescribed include:
- Myopia – Also known as near-sightedness, which means you can clearly see objects that are close, but need glasses to clearly see objects that are far away.
- Hyperopia – Also known as far-sightedness, which is normal in children and does not require them to wear glasses. However, if it is severe, your child’s eyes may have to work harder than normal to focus on close objects and can lead to myopia
- Accommodative Esotropia – This is excessive hyperopia which causes one’s eyes to cross. Wearing glasses can help to control this.
- Astigmatism – When the front part of the eye, known as the cornea, is oval-shaped rather than round, this causes blurred vision which can be corrected with glasses.
- Anisometropia – This occurs when your two eyes are different and it causes poor vision in one eye. Glasses help by individually correcting for this difference.
If you do not suffer from any of these medical conditions, you can also wear glasses for fashion, eye protection, and convenience. Since there are so many styles, colors, and shapes, eyeglasses make a great accessory for any outfit. In addition, they are fashionable and help to enhance your facial features.
Moreover, in today’s digital society it is important to properly protect your eyesight in order to ensure that it lasts. Wearing glasses not only protects your vision from digital screens, they also help to keep dirt and dust from getting into your eyes, as well, and if you wear them outside, eyeglasses can also help protect your eyes from harmful UV rays. Finally, unlike contact lenses, glasses are easy to put on and take off. In addition, eyeglasses do not require additional cleaning and do not need to be replaced as often as contact lenses.
If you are suffering from eye problems, or if it has been more than a year or two since your last visit to the eye doctor, it is recommended that you make an appointment.