Radon Mitigation: Detecting Radon in Your Home
Keeping your home and your loved ones safe can take time and knowledge. There are many substances that can affect your well-being, and one of these is radon gas. Radon gas is created when three different elements decay. This can happen in soil around your home and it can seep into your walls and even into groundwater. It can be harmful for your lungs if it is breathed in for a long period of time, so it is important to know what radon mitigation involves and how to detect this substance in your home before it can cause damage.
- Tests: If you suspect that there may be radon in your home, the best thing you can do is to purchase radon tests to perform. You can hire companies that can provide this service, too, if you prefer to have experts dealing with radon.
- Research: Take the time to research on what radon is and what dangerous levels of it are in your home. By knowing the threshold of when it is dangerous, you will be prepared to act immediately once you get the results. Do a substantial amount of research before even getting your home tested.
- Choose Test: There are generally two different types of tests for radon. The short terms test does not take more than two days. It requires you to seal your home for about 12 hours so that the reading is accurate and to place the test in the lowest level of your home, either the basement or the first floor. The test will have to be placed about 20 inches from the ground to be accurate. As long as you leave the test kit undisturbed, you should get an accurate reading. The other kind of test is one that lasts longer than 90 days. Many radon remediation companies choose this one because of how accurate it can be. This kind of test is similar to the other one, but it is left in place for more than 90 days, giving you a better understanding on when the highest levels of radon are in your home.
- Mitigation: If the radon levels are elevated in your home, you will need to hire an expert company that can deal with radon mitigation. They are trained to help you with the process by identifying the cause of the radon in your home and finding a solution to stopping it from seeping in anymore.
- Health: It is important to visit your doctor and have a full checkup if you have found high levels of radon in your home. This can prevent any serious lung issues in the future.
A company like Swat Environmental is equipped to test and to mitigate radon in your home. They will take you through the process step by step so that you are always sure your home is safe for you and your loved ones. If you are worried about radon in your home, speak with the experts who can help you test and fix any issues in your property.